What You Need To Know About Mold and That Musty Smell
If you’ve noticed a damp, musty smell in your commercial property, you may be concerned about mold and the presence of mycotoxins. The good news is that not all molds are toxigenic, and even when they are, there is no real data to support their connection to anything worrisome. In the majority of cases, the mold you find only poses a threat to secondary water damage in your property, which is a good reason to address it right away.
To get a handle on what you’re dealing with, here are a few basics you should know about mold:
- It’s a type of fungi whose purpose is to decompose dead organic matter.
- It needs water, oxygen, a nutrient source and temperatures between 40-100 degrees Fahrenheit to grow.
- The musty odor you smell comes from MVOCs — microbial volatile organic compounds — that are naturally occurring, and in some cases, due to mycotoxins.
- The color of mold is influenced by its nutrient source and how long the colony has been there.
Mold can continue to spread unless these three things are addressed:
- All existing mold is completely removed and disposed of properly.
- All nutrient sources (wet, damaged materials) are removed and disposed of properly.
- Moisture levels in the space are returned to a healthy level.
Mold remediation specialists address all these issues by utilizing years of knowledge and experience coupled with state-of-the-art tools. During cleanup, they will use HEPA air filtration systems to scrub the air clean and high-powered dehumidifiers to remove all excess moisture. They can also get rid of the moldy smell and show you exactly what you can do to keep it from coming back.
Although musty smells and the presence of mold in your property in Hialeah, FL, isn't ideal, you don't have to worry too much about mycotoxins. Swift removal of the offending material is your first priority, then all you need to do is take care of whatever is causing the dampness and moisture.